Sunday, January 29, 2012

Birthday in Bahrain (night 1)

Here's some of the group, at the Intercontinental Hotel


Charmaine and I enjoying tasty beverages

Sheela, me, Rachel, and Alana

The prize of the night

Twas the night before my birthday,
and out in Bahrain,
from partying and shenanigans,
I did not refrain.

Yes, I made that one up all on my own! So, my birthday fell on a Friday this year, and it was the first birthday away from home, but I didn't let that stop me from the fun I deserve. However, partying had to begin on a Thursday, starting at school. 
For once, my kids did something sweet. During homeroom, one of the girls stop me and told me to stand in front of the board. Then, she signaled for all of the other kids to stand up. She counted to 3 and they all sang happy birthday to me, twice. It was really cute and sweet, and put a smile on my face and made me laugh. Of course the rest of the day afterwards was total madness. But, my kids did enjoy the cake I brought in for the class party.
So, at the end of school, which involved a parent meeting, meetings with a supervisor, and teacher meetings, I was able to go home and get a nap in, and energize myself for the night.
The location of choice was the Intercontinental Hotel, where there is a South African band, and ladies night of course. We arrived, got ourselves a table and some cocktails, and joined in on the dancing. As the night went on, more friends joined, which made me happy, because I loved surrounding myself with my friends, and I'm so happy that I have made such good friends since I have been here. 
Anyways, on top of the free drinks, there were many other awesome things that occurred during the evening. First, the band did a whole Happy birthday thing for me. They took me out of the crowd, brought me up on stage, and brought me a cake with a candle, and sang to me, and had me dance on the stage. (I will have to get these pics from Rachel, or however took them, and then post them). After the cake and singing, I returned to our table to have a lovely bottle of champagne, compliments of Rachel's friend, Tom. Around the time of the champagne consumption, our eyes seemed to have shifted to a very large display martini glass. It was about 1.5-2 ft. tall, and Rachel felt that this would be a nice addition to our apartment, and would be nice for having large drinks with crazy straws. Needless to say, this glass made it's way back to our apartment. 
Continuing onward, Rachel, Alana, and I left the hotel, and went back to Alana's house, where we hung out for a short while. At this point, I was feeling very tired, and was being convinced into staying there. However, Rachel and her boyfriend Michael rescued me, telling me that this may not have been the best place for me to be staying, especially in "my condition". So, where was the best place for me to stay? On a small couch at their hotel room. 
I woke up a bit achy from sleeping in a ball, and not to mention a headache that felt as though my head had been squashed by the wheels of a truck. Fortunately, Rachel and Mike let me into the bed where I spend a bit more time resting, before heading back to the apartment.
Now, it was Friday, my actual birthday. The day was off to a bit of a rough start, but I went home, and went back to bed until about 4 pm, so that I could rest and recharge, and get ready to do it all over again!


No comments:

Post a Comment