Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More About Pregnancy

This is another one of those things I have learned about Bahrain. First, you never notice when women here are pregnant, at least not most of the time. Many women here where the abaya (long back robe), and it's very loose, so if the ladies are pregnant, you really don't know, unless they don't where one. Even if they don't wear the abaya, most of the Muslim women where looser, more flowy-type clothes, so it can still be hard to tell they are pregnant until they are 8 or so months along. So, that's one of the things about pregnancy here that is interesting. In America, you know pretty quickly when someone is pregnant, and many women usually flaunt it. So here is the other crazy thing about pregnant people. Whenever many women discover that they are pregnant (not all women, though), it is pretty much like telling them they have been diagnosed with some terminal illness and that they won't make it to see next month. When  I say this, what I mean is that when the women are told, most of them immediately quit there job, and feel as though they need to be on bed rest, or something of that sort. This maybe be understandable at 8 or 9 months, but at 2 or 3 months, or any months under 8, seems just a little silly to me. I mean, other than potential morning sickness, I don't know what could be stopping you from working when you are 3 months along, especially at simple jobs like paper filing.
I still have not gotten myself into the minds of Bahraini's, but this is just one of those things that perhaps I will never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment