Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My First Experience With a Dust Storm

Not sure if this happened from the dust storm or maybe a car accident, but it did happen during the dust storm

Hard to tell from the picture, but it was dusty and hazy out. Normally it's sunny and blue.

Wind was blowing things everywhere

My first experience with a dust storm happened just last week. This was a mild dust storm though, because from what I've been told, some are so bad that you can't see 6 feet in front of you. This one was not nearly that bad. So it started off in the morning, when it was unusually windy outside, and seemed a bit cloudy (which is strange because it is sunny and cloud free everyday). By the time first break came, and we were outside with the students, it was even more hazy, there were leaves and bags flying in the air from the wind. My students were scared and freaking out because the bag they saw flying high up in the air, they thought was a bat, and were afraid. On top of that, they were complaining about their eyes (from the sand and dust getting into them). We took the kids back in eventually.
As the day progressed, it got a bit more dusty colored outside, and the kids weren't allowed to play outside during their second break, but instead had to stay in the cafeteria.
Walking home meant wearing my sunglasses and wrapped my scarf over my face, in attempts to keep the sand and dust out. The winds must have been strong because a small tree was down on the field next to the music room. Then, when I walked further towards home, a basketball hoop was laying sideways, and their was debris everywhere. And of course, when I got back to my apartment, lots of dust, leaves, feathers, and other things had blown under the door and into the living room, which made for a bit of a cleanup. All in all, the storm wasn't that bad, but I'm sure if I ever encounter a more fierce one, I may think differently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment