Thursday, July 5, 2012

The End of the School Year: An Overall Evaluation

Wow! The last day of school. What can I say about the school year and all that has happened. Well, I'm sure I could probably at least write a book about my experiences, but I'm not ready for that just yet.
I can start by saying I have most certainly learned a lot, probably more than I thought I would. The first year of teaching is the hardest for every teacher. It's even harder when it's your first year, your first time living on the other side of the world, in a new county, new culture, new friends, new everything. By no means was it easy, but it was for sure an experience in which I have no regrets.
Early in the year, around October or November, I had days where I would actually start crying on my walk to school because I was so upset about the school and the class I had. I'm still pretty upset about it to this day, being that I had the class from hell. Despite the demon class that I had and the fact that they gave me my first ever gray hairs, terrible acne, and endless stress, they did have their own interesting personality, and more certainly brought some color to the classroom. I had the notoriously naughty class. Most other teachers on my floor could hear my class more than any other group of students.
The kids were bad, but they did have some moments where they gave me a good laugh. I did have kids that I actually enjoyed and easily smiled around. I will miss most of the kids in my class, but some of them I am pretty happy that they will be moving on and no longer terrorizing me.
I have been so blessed as to make some awesome and amazing friends. I have had so many laughs and good times with my friends here, and am happy to say that they will be life-long friends, and ones that I surely will never forget. I also have been lucky enough to work with fantastic colleagues who have been so supportive and helpful to me. I have learned so much from them, and they have helped to keep my on track and get me through tough situations at school.
As some final thoughts and words about living in Bahrain, here are some things I can say. For one, Bahrain is not like the media portrays it to be. It is probably up there as one of the safest places I have ever been, probably along the lines of being as safe as when I was in Japan. In Bahrain, you can leave your doors unlocked (as we did all year), and never have to worry about someone breaking in and stealing your things. You can leave a GPS in the car and it won't get stolen. And, there are not crazy terrorists and protesters and things like that going wild in the streets. The most you ever see is a dumpster on fire, or a tire burning, never anything serious. Bahrain is also somewhat deceiving. You might expect everyone to be very holy people and following the religion very strictly, but that is not the case. I can't tell you how many of the men especially you see out at bars, in their thobes and all (and drinking is against their religion, among other things that they partake in).
Drivers in Bahrain are nuts, but it's still not nearly as bad as in Egypt. The cheap gas and free drinks for ladies is just awesome. Bahrain is also a great jump-off point. You have easy access to most of the world and can get to places for rather cheap (which has been a huge benefit since I love to travel). The weather is nice and warm (most of the time), and you rarely have to worry about your outdoor plans being cancelled due to rain.
These are just a few nice things that I can say about Bahrain, but really there are many. I have had a truly unique and life changing experience living here. I have made memories that I won't forget, and met people who have played such an important part of my life. If you don't ever get a chance to visit this place (it's not big and would't take a very long time, and it is better to go with someone who knows the place), then I hope you could enjoy what it has to offer through some words and pictures. And I'm always happy to share stories, both happy and sad about my journey. As a final note about Bahrain, and relating to my last post, I did find a home for my little kitten, Jack. Our high school Math teacher and his wife took her. I was so happy to have a home for her, but it was so painful to give her away. She started as nothing and almost lifeless, but I revived her and made her a crazy playful little kitten. The day I gave her away, I cried and cried some more. I was heartbreaking because she looked so sad, but I know now that she will have a good life and be taken care of by good people, and that makes me happy.
Home is now very near, and all that stands between is my awesome trip to Morocco and Italy. Africa and Europe, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment