Thursday, July 5, 2012

Morocco: Day 1 and 2: Marakkech

Me in front of the mosque

Mom and Dad

and of course, Charmaine and I

Some giant birds hanging out in a nest

Here I am inside a tomb, trying to push it apart 

and now I'm dead in the tomb

I stopped to smell the roses (an important thing to do when on vacation)

Us at a palace

The next adventure begins. We left Bahrain to start our Morocco and Italy journey. Getting to Morocco wasn't so bad. We flew from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi, and from there to Casablanca. Then, in Casablanca, we had a driver take us from there to Marakkesh. First thing you must know about Morocco, is that it an Arabic and French speaking country, and although some people know English, not many do, not like in Bahrain. So, fortunately I have taken some lessons in both language, so I was able to at least get my family by (better with the French).
Our hotel in Marakkesh was called Hotel Amine, a four star hotel. It was a little old fashioned inside, but it had a lovely pool, and was enough to have a comfortable sleep. We had a comfortable sleep the first night, especially after all of the traveling we did.
The next day, we woke up and had breakfast, and decided to check out the city. We took the bus into the city (good thing I knew some French or else that wouldn't have happened), and just spent some time walking around and checking out the city. We saw an old mosque, visited some tombs and the palace, and stopped by the souq to see if there were any cool things for us to pick up. I found a nice scarf, so I was pretty happy.
After some time, it was getting pretty hot outside, and our feet were starting to hurt, so we took the bus back to the hotel, and dipped into their lovely pool, which felt oh so refreshing after having to peel our sweaty clothes off. 
We finished off the evening with showers, dinner, and another good nights sleep. A pretty cool first day and a half or 2 days of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment