Friday, December 9, 2011

Traveling in Jordan: Day 2: The Grand Canyon of the Middle East

The mountains in Jordan are beautiful and endless!

Really, the entire country is a mountain. There is really no where that is flat

The view from this lookout point was amazing

The 3 of us

This pose was frightening. If I fell, I would fall for a really long time before I reached bottom!

Myself and a very nice bedouin man. I bought some of his hand made weaving's.

I love this picture, but this is something you have to see with your own eyes to really understand just how amazing it is.


I know there has been a delay in publishing more posts, but life has been busy. Anyways, I wanted to finish my posts about Jordan. This all shows the incredible and breath-taking scenery of the mountains of Jordan. Everyone actually calls it the Grand Canyon of the Middle East. I went to the Grand Canyon in 3rd grade, but I don't remember much of it, but this is for sure unforgettable. The mountains just roll on for ever and ever. We had to make a few stops just to get out and look and try to take it all in. I even posed on a rock wall (as seen above), which was actually somewhat terrifying. There was the wall, and then a very very long way down. If I slipped or got a fright by a bug or something along those lines, it would be the end of me. But, I worked up the courage to pose. Also at this lookout point, there was a bedouin man, also pictured above, who made his own crafts to sell. I bought 2 weaving's from him, both which were made from either camel or sheep hair. Regardless, they were pretty cool, and authentic, so it was a good buy. 
Although the views in the country are amazing, there are some not so amazing, and rather scary ones as well. For example, as we were driving through the mountains, there were points where the road would get a little more narrow. Then, accidentally, I look out the passenger-side window, and see how high up we are, and how we are not that far from the edge of the road, and as I said earlier, the distance from the edge to the bottom is very far. I immediately had to look away because I could feel my heart rate beginning to increase. I began to imagine how scary it would be if the car lost control or blew a tire and we neared the edge. Once we reached the top and were far away from the mountains edge, I finally was able to calm down and release my grip on the car handle, and let out a big sigh of relief. Those mountain edges are no joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment