Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Rights of Women

I haven't written much in a while. I guess nothing too new and exciting has been going on. However, I do find discussions to be rather interesting. So, I shall elaborate on a recent interesting share of information that was brought to my attention by my lovely roommate Rachel. Rachel had been talking with an Arab lady who had recently found out that she is pregnant. Despite this exciting news, the lady is not very excited. She has 2 children as it is, and really doesn't have the funds to have a large family. However, her husband wants a big family from her. She is tired and worked as it is, so having another baby is a rather stressful thought. So, thinking logically (by western ideals), Rachel suggested to the lady that she go on birth control. This way, she wouldn't have to be so concerned about becoming pregnant (after having this child). So this is where it is interesting. In order for a married lady to get birth control here, she has to have a written letter from her husband, giving her permission to receive birth control, and stating that he is aware that the birth control will prevent her from getting pregnant. Now I find this to be a bit surprising, and maybe shocking. I am surprised that the man seems to have more control over the women's body that she does. And, its rather sad that only one has a say in how the family should be, and not both sides. I understand that it is a totally different culture, and really the women here are not treated as bad as media and others make it out to be, but this is still very odd to me. Overall, I feel bad for her. I would hate to be told that I have to do something because its what my husband wants, and that I have no say in it whatsoever. Really, its shocking.
And to further elaborate on some other baby and child related topics, getting a divorce here is a big deal too. Unlike the U.S., where everyone is or gets divorced, it is a more rare occurance here. Here is a possible reason why. First, to be divorced is very shameful here, and you are far less likely to find a second husband or wife if you are a divorced person. Your family will especially be very upset with you, and may possibly even reject you in some situations. Second, and this is where it is total opposite of the U.S. If you and your husband get a divorce, guess where the kids go? Yep, to the husband. Even if the guy is the worst dad ever, the kids always are given to the father, where as in the U.S, the mother is favored.
So, these are just some interesting family-related things I have learned over the past month. Shocking, yes. Gives you something to think about, yes.  

1 comment:

  1. wow. that blows. i know its a different culture, but it's still really sad to me. i could never imagine being in that situation and am actually a bit suprised that it's like that in a country that is supposed to be more modern.
    anywho, that's all i have to say.

    ReplyDelete