Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yeah.....it was THAT kinda day

I've officially been living in Bahrain for half a year as of March 3rd. Wow. So, my blog has been quite entertaining to many, and I do try to keep it fun and let people see that the Middle East isn't always quite as crazy as the media makes it to be. But despite my entertaining and pleasant posts, there are some days that are total crap, and now is one of those times where I just have to write about it (although I don't think my writing could quite put into words the actual feelings, nor would I say my complete feelings about the week because people would think I was off my rocker!). So, this week, Tuesday in particular, has quite possibly topped the list as being one of my most enraged days of my life. Now, in previous writings of my teaching experience, I have made it clear that I have a class of monsters. Monsters just isn't the right word for my thoughts. "Demon seeds" (as one teacher referred to them as), may be a little closer. It has gotten to a point where it is near impossible to get through a single lesson with my kids because they are so disruptive and disrespectful. This week, we have a lot going on in school, and there were things that needed to be accomplished (especially since my class is behind the other first grade classes due to their behavior). Regardless of all of the things we needed to get things done, the kids just wouldn't focus, they wouldn't sit still, and just wouldn't do anything they were supposed to. On Tuesday, I teach 4 subjects, and best believe I didn't get through a single one! So, this was extremely frustrating. Then of course, there is one boy in my class who really has me seeing red. This is a student that NEVER pays attention, never completes his work, never sits quietly, never shows respect, and never follows directions. He is THAT kind of student that you would never wish on another teacher because it is so unfair to have such a student in your class. I will  admit, I completely lost my cool with this boy and kicked him out of the class, and had to have a supervisor come. And this is on top of me being in tears for the entire afternoon, and practically cried on about 6 separate occasions during various lessons. My boss had to come in and allow me to leave the room because I was not even capable of teaching the students at this point. If I went into detail about everything that the students did that day, I would be able to write at least an entire chapter of a book, but really it was THAT bad.
Now, lets put the icing on the cake. The stress that the students give me has caused me to have awful acne, which is another source of additional stress. But even worse than the acne was me looking in the mirror at school. As I was washing my hands, I noticed what I initially thought was a blonde hair. Hah, what a joke. As I looked closer, I found a second hair, and began to realize that these hairs may not be blonde, but instead GRAY! That's right! Gray. I immediately went storming into the teacher room to find an available teacher to examine my head. And when I found one, she confirmed that these hairs were indeed grey, and that there were four of them. I almost threw up! I have been saying for quite some time that these kids were going to cause me gray hairs and this has unfortunately come true.
After this, I was pretty much ready to bury my class into the ground. First stress, then acne, and now gray hairs. I can't even imagine what else these kids could do to worsen my health. It's shocking. So after all of this, I was (and still am) beside myself. This is unlike anything I have experienced before. Not to mention, I am entirely too young to be having such problems. In addition, this has made it even more difficult for me to be very happy and positive around the students when I have to see the effects of them every day when I look in the mirror. I knew teaching was going to be stressful, but I never thought it would be like this.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there lady and know that you're doing a great job and a great thing! We miss you!
    -Megan and bobby

    ReplyDelete