Friday, September 16, 2011

Live Bands and Going Out







One of the other cool things about Bahrain is that on weekends, and even weekdays, you can usually find something to do. I still don't know the area that well, but my friends do, so they know where all the fun is. One of the common things I have seen is live bands. Bars and clubs seem to always have live bands doing cover songs of other bands. The very top photo is of a Filipino band who did popular cover songs by various artists, and they were really good. I totally enjoyed their performance. Below that is a pic of myself and my super awesome roommate Rachel. She and I and some friends and her boyfriend all went out and had a lovely time. Following is a snapshot of myself, Rachel, and  Ben (the 1st grade crew), and then a nice group photo. Bars and clubs are not like they are in the states. You don't just walk along any street and find a bar or club to go to. Here, since most people don't drink, the bars and clubs are inside of hotels. So, at these places, you find people from all over the world, as well as from Bahrain. It's funny because you even see a few religious men in their clothes they would wear out and to the mosque, in the bar. Seems a bit backwards, but Bahrain is one of the "playgrounds" of the Middle East. It really is quite liberal here. Onward! Following the group picture are some more photos that I took last night. Charmaine, who lives downstairs from my apartment and is from South Africa as well, went out with me to a hotel last night. We also invited 2 other teachers to join us as well. We went to one hotel where a South African band was performing (also doing cover songs), and it was ladies night! Ladies night here mean that females don't pay anything for their drinks the entire night. We also went to another hotel where we met up with a few more friends. This hotel had a Beatles cover band performing. The band was amazing and really had the mass crowd excited. I tried to get a few pics because the outfits were great! The last photo is of my, Charmaine, and Frank. Frank teaches as well, and he and his roommate had an awesome time out as well. It's exciting to go somewhere where there is always something to do and people to hangout with and have such a fun time. I think these experiences will help me really adjust to my environment and grow to love it more and more. 

1 comment:

  1. I think the US needs to start having ladies' nights Bahrain-style...FREE.

    -Liana

    ReplyDelete