Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sometimes.......I Wish I Had a G.P.S






Warning! Let's say that someday you decide that you would love to come and visit the lovely Kingdom of Bahrain. Of course, when you are here, naturally, you would want to explore the area around where you live. Well, if you do not know this place like you know the back of your hand, you might want a G.P.S. So, I will share my story of living sans G.P.S. My first 2 days of school involved me getting a ride back to my apartment, on the account of me having a million pounds of books, or helping people with their books. Now, my apartment is only a 2 minute walk from the school, so it is extremely close. Anyways, I recognized some familiar buildings and walked towards them, assuming that was where my apartment was located, however, after walking for about 5 minutes and not passing my place, I realized I was not on my street. You see, what makes this so challenging is that in Bahrain, you can't really identify where you are going based on buildings because they are all some variation of beige or sand color, and almost all have flat roofs. For example, you can't tell someone, "Hey, I live near the big, red brick house", because in Bahrain, there is no such thing as a red brick house, they are all beige, and not brick! Also, in Bahrain, you can't identify what street you are on or even near because most streets are not marked with a street sign, and if there is a sign, it will be posted somewhere on a wall outside of someones house. Additionally, the streets all go by number, and not by name, so you would need to know your street number as well. Even cab drivers here often times are not sure of where to go because of the lack of street signs and identifiable landmarks, especially in neighborhood areas. Well, needless to say, after about 10 or 15 minutes, I found my apartment, and was quite excited to see it and get out of the hot sun. So, the lesson of this story is, please know your way around, or at least wear your walking shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment