Tuesday, September 6, 2011

More Adventures and Fun Times




So I finally figured out how to post some photos on this blog. So, the top photo is of one of my evening gatherings. A group of 9 of us drove into Bahrain's capital, Manama, and went out to eat at Trader Vic's. Trader Vic's has amazing food, especially seafood. As I'm sure you can imagine, being on an island, you get plenty of seafood. For appetizer's, I had tuna tartar (raw tuna, topped with an  avocado mousse), and crab rangoons (wontons filled with crab). For my entree, I had red curry seafood, and it was just so delicious. I had a lovely time with all of my new friends. I could not have asked for a nicer evening. The bottom picture shows three new fruits I tried this evening. When I first went grocery shopping, I noticed that there are many fruits and veggies here than I have not seen in the U.S. So, I made it my mission to try as many new things as possible. When grocery shopping, I did see lamb brain, but wasn't feeling THAT adventurous. So here is what I tried. The fruit on the left (the yellow one), is a Thailand watermelon. It tastes just like red watermelons that we are used to eating, only it is not quite as sweet, but still tasty nonetheless. The fruit in the center is a rosemary pear. I don't think I have ever tried this kind of pear before, but it tastes just like any other pear. Finally, the fruit on the right, the red spiky-looking one, is called a Rambuttan, also from Thailand.When you slice off the top, there is a white fruit inside, with a pit. Once you slice the top, you can peel off the rest of the skin. The actual fruit is quite tasty, its very similar to a lychee (kind of like a large, sweet white grape). So these were the adventures of today, it was quite enjoyable. I did also find a George Foreman grill, which was equally awesome, and will be my best cooking friend. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Brit! Remember we were talking about all the awesome fruit you were going to get over there? Looks like you found it! Yum! Please steal some! Also, glad to hear you arrived safely and are getting settled in! Miss ya lady, way to many caramels here in pastryland without you around! Take care and please keep updating, it's cool to read about life there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mamaaaaaa miss you so much already. It is great to read your blog and know what ur going thru. This is gona be a great trip for you. Love ya xoxo

    ReplyDelete